Facebook Shadow Profiles
► Due to recently emerged information about a security breach in NordVPN, and the way the situation was handled and communicated, I can no longer recommend the use of this product.
More info about the situation at: https://bit.ly/2MUrFCg
To the people that have possibly been affected by the issue, after purchasing the product using the sponsored link on this video, I can only express my sincere apologies.
Facebook claims it’s not in the business of creating profiles for non-users, however it does collect a lot of their information.
Collections of mostly off-platform information on both users and non-users are commonly referred as ‘’shadow profiles’’, and while Facebook claims that such things don’t exist, it does admit taking actions that would be necessary for them to exist in some shape or form. In other worlds, shadow profile or nor no shadow profile, Facebook has plenty of information on people, whether they signed up or not!
In a recent blog post, Facebook explained why and how it obtains information about people from other websites and apps. That includes information about people who never even made a Facebook profile.
When it comes to the why, it’s pretty much same old-same old - enhancing products and services, improving safety and security and providing services to other websites and apps.
However, in this video, we’re going to focus on the how.
Sources & References
- newsroom.fb.com: ‘’Hard Questions: What Data Does Facebook Collect When I’m Not Using Facebook, and Why?’’ https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2....018/04/data-off-face
- Gizmodo: ‘’How Facebook Figures Out Everyone You've Ever Met’’ https://gizmodo.com/how-facebo....ok-figures-out-every
- Recode: ‘’This is how Facebook collects data on you even if you don’t have an account’’ https://www.recode.net/2018/4/....20/17254312/facebook
- How Stuff Works: ‘’How Internet Cookies Work’’ https://computer.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm
- allaboutcookies.org: ‘’All About Cookies.’’ http://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/
- makeuseof.com: ‘’How Advertisers Use Web Beacons to Track You on the Web and in Emails’’ https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/....how-web-beacons-trac
- Wikipedia: ‘’Web beacon’’ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_beacon
- The Verge: ‘’Shadow profiles are the biggest flaw in Facebook’s privacy defense’’ https://www.theverge.com/2018/....4/11/17225482/facebo
- social-engineer.org: ‘’Web Beacons for Social Engineering Reconnaissance’’ https://www.social-engineer.or....g/general-blog/web-b
- ‘’Facebook Tracking Through Social Plug-ins’’ https://securehomes.esat.kuleu....ven.be/~gacar/fb_tra
► SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/channelhotmonkey
► FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/chmtech
► GOOGLE +: https://plus.google.com/+ChannelHotmonkey/posts
Music: ''In The Hall of the Mountain King'', ''Firebrand’’, ‘’Lake George'', ‘’Moth’’, ‘’Red Ant’’, ‘’From Russia With Love’’, ‘’Versace Beat’’, ''Trophy Wife'' (YouTube Audio Library)