11 Best Things To Do in Kolkata, India (Calcutta) - Kolkata Food and Travel Guide!
Here are 11 of the best things to do in Kolkata, India!
►Check out my Kolkata travel guide: https://migrationology.com/kol....kata-calcutta-travel
►Subscribe now for more videos: http://bit.ly/MarkWiensSubscribe
Kolkata, India, was the first city I visited when I went to India, and after traveling throughout the northern part of the country, Kolkata was one of my favorite cities. It sure is huge and chaotic as you would expect, yet at the same time it's such a fascinating city full of life, culture, and lots of delicious food. Now let's get right into these top 11 things to do in Kolkata, India.
1. Mother Teresa Home - The first thing on the list is the Mother Teresa home which in Kolkata is just known as Mother's Home. It's the location where Mother Teresa lived, worked, and influenced many many people. At the small Catholic mission you can go inside, see Mother's tomb where she's buried and also see the room where she spent much of her time writing and thinking. There's also a small little museum where you can see some of her possessions.
2. Victoria Memorial Hall - Second on the list of top things to do in Kolkata (Calcutta) is the Victoria Memorial Hall which happens to be one of the most important landmarks in the entire city. The outside of the hall, which is built in Victorian style, is surrounded by nice gardens where you can walk around. The entrance to the park is just 4 Rupees. If you choose to go to the inside, the cost is 150 Rupees and you can get into the museum.
3. South Park Street Cemetery - One of the spookiest attractions in Kolkata (Calcutta), is the South Park Street Cemetery, a dark garden that's full of huge tombs. The cemetery is free to enter, though they'll ask your for a donation when you either enter or exit.
4. Khalighat Kali Temple - Dedicated to the Hindu Goddess of Kali, is the most famous and sacred Hindu Temple in Kolkata (Calcutta). The temple is nearly always busy and in order to enter you've got to take off your shoes. Surrounding the temple is a busy market. Be careful when you visit the Kalighat Temple, there are many scams and people people that will ask for donations.
5. New Market - Next on this video list of Kolkata attractions is the New Market, sort of the center of the city with lots of energy. The New Market has an indoor section where you can shop for everything from clothes to electronics, but in my opinion, it's the outdoors area surrounding the market that's the most interesting. Here you'll find food, clothes, fruit, spices, and just about everything else you can possibly imagine. You can also have the opportunity to take a Kolkata human powered rickshaw in this area.
6. Indian Museum - Coming in next is the Indian Museum in Kolkata, one of the original museums in all of India. It's a huge museum and the highlight of the many exhibitions is the Egyptian mummy and numerous other valuable collections. The museum is also known as the Magic House.
7. Belur Math - Located north of the main part of the city is Belur Math, a private temple that's located along the banks of the Hooghly River. The temple is quiet and relaxing, and because they don't allow any videos or photos, I had to take the video from near the gate where they didn't have security.
8. Dakshineswar Kali Temple - Across and upstream the river from Belur Math is the huge Dakshineswar Kali Temple, one of the most famous Hindu temples in Kolkata. It's north of Kolkata, but it's worth a trip there to see the crowds and to see people bathing in the river.
9. Mullik Ghat Flower Market - Next up is the center flower market of Kolkata. The market, which is located below the Howrah Bridge, is just a fascinating sight of moving colorful flowers.
10. Terreti Market - Occupying Sun Yat Sen road, is the early morning Chinese food market which is known as Terreti Bazar. It makes a perfect place to get a morning breakfast of Chinese food when you're in town.
11. Kolkata Street Food - Last but not least for things to do in Kolkata is eat street food. There's a lot to eat and it's mouthwatering good!
Also see http://migrationology.com/2013..../03/top-11-things-to and http://migrationology.com/2013..../03/kolkata-calcutta
Thank you for watching!
Follow my food adventures at http://migrationology.com/ & http://www.eatingthaifood.com/ Also check out my Bangkok travel guide http://migrationology.com/ebook-101-things-to-do-in-bangkok/ and my Thai food guide http://www.eatingthaifood.com/eating-thai-food-guide/
Finally, subscribe so you don't miss the next tasty adventure http://www.youtube.com/subscri....ption_center?add_use